Feb 22, 2012

Make Every Effort: I think I can!

Photo via Pinterest


First, I'll let you appreciate how seriously adorable this mug is. 

And how seriously crucial coffee is in your life. or tea? I know some of us can live without the java. Look at you go.

:)

Now that you've made an honest effort to bypass that sarcasm...

If you have your Bible handy...
Turn to 2 Peter, Chapter 1.
Read verses 5 through 9.
Or, right click here and open a new tab.

When I read this passage, what stands out to me the most is:
1. make every effort
2. self-control
3. ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ


There are so many evil desires in this world. It is corrupt. Every day is a battle, not of flesh, but of good and evil in the spiritual realm.

A temptation to chime in on gossip. An untamed tongue. A temptation to give into past sins.

And if we don't, we get a snicker here or a turned up nose there. From non-believers and fellow believers alike. From ourselves. All the while, our deepest desire is to do good. And then we beat ourselves up for it.

That's why I love this verse.

My grace is sufficient for you,
for my power is made perfect in weakness.”
Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses,
so that Christ’s power may rest on me.
2 Corinthians 12:9

God already knows that we aren't strong enough. No one in this world is going to deliver you from your weakness, from your setbacks, from your “I did it agains” but God Himself.

He doesn't tell us to do it alone; He asks us to make every effort we can.

Making every effort you can doesn't have to be a daunting task. You don't need to do everything at once.

But you do need to start with knowledge of who God is. That starts with His word.

Make every effort to spend a moment with your Heavenly Father (start with Titus? Chapter 2? Great read.) The more you spend with Him, the more prepared you will be to control yourself in times of temptation. You'll be aware, even in every day physical life that you are amongst a spiritual battle ground.

The more you know God, the more control you have over these situations. And the more likely you will choose to represent Christ.



Yes you can!
post signature