Apr 6, 2011

Healthy Eating On a Budget: Tea Time

I love tea, and my kids have also acquired a taste for the many varieties too. I'm guilty of buying the large jugs of fruit drinks, apples juice and even jugs of sugary iced tea. Quickly realizing how much money we were spending on overpriced jugs of juices, I started brewing our own tea. I've always been a huge tea drinker, but never thought to have my kids try them. There are so many great health benefits of tea, and so many varieties. There are some my kids weren't too fond of, but many, like the one below, that they absolutely love!


I love the brand Zhena's Gypsy Tea. I found organic Papaya Mango at a local discount store for only $2. It comes with 22 tea sachets, and I typically use 3 sachets for every batch (about 1.5 liters) I make. 




So many great organic, fair-trade ingredients, and it is caffeine-free



The kids love when I toss slices of fresh fruit into their tea. It also adds great flavor with a little bit of sweetness from the fruit's natural juices. I love chopping up apples and adding club soda to my own glass for a little fizz :)



I sweeten our tea with just a hint of honey, agave, maple syrup or raw cane sugar. 


Kept in a large jug and refrigerated