Sep 8, 2011

Puddle Ducks

 I love an unplanned, surrender-it-to-God kind of day. They are the very best of days. I could feel "one of those mornings" coming on. I really think it has to do with this rain, and now I feel that familiar Maine chill in the morning! The first thing I asked the Lord as I tried to creep back into my warm bed after preparing my husband's lunch and seeing him off to work was - What can I do to serve my family today to bring You glory? Help me Lord, to put a smile on my children's faces, help me to display the genuine love for them that You display for me so effortlessly. I then made my way to my faithful coffee maker. My bed has not seen me since.

"Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom." Psalm 90:12
This morning at breakfast the kids wanted to hear me read devotions. This was done over a simple yet filling plate - blueberry muffin from Meme, scrambled eggs, and grapes. I laughed because Gavin asked why we were having olives for breakfast. We usually buy the red or green grapes.  The black ones puzzled him.

Gavin wanted to describe heaven to me, what he thinks heaven is like. Here are a few quotables from this morning, big smiles on my face as I listened to him:

Gavin: "I think heaven is filled with lots of bread and fish. Two fish. Loaves of bread."
Me: "Do you think heaven has lots of animals?" 
Gavin: "Hmmm, I think it has some. Well, I know it at least has a donkey. That belongs to Jesus." 

After breakfast the kids wanted to curl up on the couch and read some stories together. Gavin dug out his "new, but old at the same time" Beatrix Potter books, as he likes to call them. We read a couple; they especially liked The Tale of Jemima Puddle Duck - mostly because of all the suspense of that sneaky fox. I'm an animated story teller. Kids love it.

We saw the sun peeking out after lunchtime and decided it was the perfect opportunity for a walk. And what did the kids spot right as we turn onto our dirt road - PUDDLES! The kids looked at me like "Mama, those puddles are made for jumping." They didn't even have to ask. I said "Go for it! Jump in those huge puddles!" BIG smiles plastered on their little faces followed by squeals. 


 Haley was shouting the whole time "Look at me, Mama! I'm a puddle duck!" God is so good. So, so, SO, good! 




 "You heavens above, rain down righteousness; let the clouds shower it down. Let the earth open wide, let salvation spring up, let righteousness grow with it; I, the LORD, have created it." -- Isaiah 45:8