Jan 4, 2012

One mother...

"Most of all the other beautiful things in life
come by two's and three's, by dozen's or hundreds.
Plenty of roses, stars, sunsets,
rainbows, brothers, sisters, aunts and cousins,
but only one mother in the whole world."

I am constantly questioning myself as a mom, continuously feeling defeated. At some point I am reminded that this is not about me. It's about Him. He placed me in this very time, this very place, with these children to live out this ministry of motherhood. I strongly desire to live out His desires. 

The best part is, I'm not alone. I have His Word to bring light to my shortcomings; and His grace to carefully mold me. Daily. With Him, I can be that one mother to...

...preach His word to my children (being reminded that these moments are fleeting, and now is the time)
...be prepared to share His word whether the time is favorable or not (I pray that He will give me that desire to turn to Him throughout the day)
...patiently correct, rebuke and encourage my children with good teaching (instead of giving into my sinful inclinations which is usually to raise my voice or to pry one child off the other)
...keep a clear mind in every situation (a clear what? definitely can't do this one on my own)
...not be afraid of suffering for Him (C'mon now, don't tell me you're not pulling your hair out most days thinking "Lord, help me, these kids are driving me crazy!")
...to work at telling my children the Good News, and fully carry out the ministry of motherhood He has given to me. 

I solemnly urge you in the presence of God and Christ Jesus, 
who will someday judge the living and the dead 
when he appears to set up his Kingdom: 
Preach the word of God. 
Be prepared, whether the time is favorable or not. 
Patiently correct, rebuke, and encourage your people with good teaching.
 For a time is coming when people will no longer listen 
to sound and wholesome teaching. 
They will follow their own desires 
and will look for teachers who will tell them 
whatever their itching ears want to hear. 
They will reject the truth and chase after myths.
But you should keep a clear mind in every situation. 
Don’t be afraid of suffering for the Lord. 
Work at telling others the Good News, 
and fully carry out the ministry God has given you.
2 Timothy 4:1-5