May 19, 2011

Smart Lunch

I'm really frugal, even when it comes to food. I do however, avoid having to compromise a healthy way of eating. Grocery shopping day is coming up, but I still try to find any possible way to stretch what we already have. I tear through the cupboards, fridge, freezer, my windowsill herbs, to find anything that will make a meal. And I happen to find the makings for a delicious healthy lunch!

In the freezer I found:
~ Green beans, thawed - I bought a bunch on sale and froze these previously
~ Rice, thawed - I always make and freeze extra for this reason


In the fridge I found:
~ Homemade Maui Onion salad dressing - I made this for a salad a couple nights ago recipe below
~ Garlic
~ Vidalia onion - I had about a quarter left over from the dressing I made
~ Homemade creamy asparagus soup my friend made


In the cupboard I found:
~ Chopped almonds - I had extra from a cookie recipe I made Tuesday
~ Raw coconut oil


My windowsill herbs:
~ Chives


First I sauteed the garlic and onion in about a teaspoon of coconut oil. I warmed up the rice in a small sauce pan with a little water. I warmed the soup in another saucepan.

Then I added green beans and Maui Onion dressing

I topped the green bean mix on the rice and sprinkled the chopped almonds on top

I chopped about a teaspoon of chives from the windowsill herbs and topped it on my soup with a little bit of cracked pepper :)

 So green, but so delicious! The asparagus was fresh from my friend's garden :)

Yummmm!


Maui Onion Dressing

Ingredients
1 clove garlic, pressed
1/4 cup vidalia onion
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup cane sugar
1/4 cup vinegar
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup dijon mustard
1/8 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp tamari 


Blend all ingredients on high for 20 seconds. Store in a jar or other sealed glass container.